y of around
Camp Reynolds - World War II Army Cam


POWs were marched up the hill (Kidd's Mills Rd/Industrial Park Rd) for exercise by the MPs and they would stop at Hill Top Orchard for a break for water and a few apples.
- Suellyn Wright Novak (Parents owned Hill Top Orchard)

My brother James, age 17, from Grove City PA worked for HR Paving Company which was paving roads at Camp Reynolds. When he turned 18 a buddy talked him into enlisting. He did his basics in Indiana. He then was sent to Camp Reynolds. because he could speak some German he was made an MP to work with the POWS. One of his jobs was to take 2 or 3 POWs to Leavenworth Kansas. He was later transferred to Leavenworth. While there he married a farm girl and stayed out there after the war. He remembers that several POWs married farm girls after the war.
- Bill West

I went to elementary school grades 1-3 and part of 4th in the Transfer Fire Hall (behind the old Transfer High School). I remembered we wrapped our books up with our name on them and they were at the new lementary school in Transfer when we arrived. I was at the new school for grades 5 & 6th.  
When I was in 7th grade, around 1954, I had class in two dormitories that was were used by the Camp. The former dormitories was used for the camp's civilian workers and after the camp's closing the dorms were used as housing for returning war veterans. The two dorms were setup for 7th and 8th grade. I remember broken glass down the hall from my room. The music teacher was Mrs. Baldridge.
After 7th grade we went to Hickory, then Farrell and to Reynolds High School in 1963.
- Pat Miller

I lived in the Reynolds Village dormitories until 1953 when they started to tear down the dormitories.
- Local Resident

As a young boy I saw the troop trains from the camp heading to embarkation points going through Sharon, PA from Ellsworth St. My older brother worked at the camp as a carpenter when the camp was being built.
My wife's dad's brother, Babe Wasley from Sharpsville, PA played in the Benny Jones Orchestra which played at the camp.
- Toni (Wasley) & John Ryan - Sharpsville, PA

Local couple donated a player piano to one of the camp's day rooms.
- Daughter of Couple

I worked as a Dental Assistant, my sister Shirley worked in the Quartermasters Office and Mary Lou my Aunt worked in a Grocery Store.
- Vivian Gill

I remember delivering Pittsburgh Gazette papers on 24th & 25th Streets at the camp as a young boy.
- Paul Marina

My mother Mary worked at the camp making boots when she was 38 years old.
- Jerry Slovinsky

When I was a real young girl I remember a couple of soldiers being in a bad motorcycle accident by the Clark bridge. One guy flew up into a tree and then fell out.
- Former Clark, PA Resident

I knew a guy who bought the camp Post Office and built a hunting camp with the lumber.
- Local Resident

I was from Jamestown, PA and worked ta the camp.worked at the camp he was from Jamestown PA. I remember seeing the troops and the POWs playing softball by the Covered Bridge.
- Eugene Carr

In 1942 I worked at the camp while it was being built. I lied about my age to get hired, I was 13 at the time. I worked in the hospital area and saw patients.
- John Cianci - Local Greenville Resident

I remember that Troop trains leaving to embarkation points had their blinds down when they went through towns n cities.
Other things I remember are that the men got paid in cash at the end of the month and that we used to ride our bikes to the camp.
- Dave Longetti

Ellsworth “Bud” Lineman was stationed at the Camp. He later went to Europe where he got wounded in Anzio, Italy. He was in a fox hole with 4 others and it was hit with shrapnel metal. Two soldiers were killed and Bud and one other soldier were seriously wounded.
- Brother Neal Lineman

I remember roller skating at one of the Recreation halls after the camp was closed.
- Don Smith

I remember an obstacle course behind the water towers area and when the Covered Bridge was the only bridge across the Shenango River while the camp was in operation.
- Mickey  McKnight - Local Resident

We lived on a farm just North of the rifle range. I remember soldiers coming to help around the farm. Some of the soldiers wives may have stayed at our place. I remember Sgt. Warren's wife sewing a dress for me.
George Woods was another soldier I remember that our family got to know.
Another memory I have was when a stray bullet from from the rifle range almost hit me while I was riding my tricycle on the cellar doors on the south side of the house. I saw the bullet drop on the cellars doors after hitting the side of the house. I took it to my dad, boy was he ever mad. He went straight down to the rifle range and gave the officer there a piece of his mind.
- Rhonda Reichard - Local Resident

While I was attending Penn high School in Greenville, PA I worked at the camp when I was 16 while it was being built.  I worked when I was off from school and was on the labor gang which followed the carpenters around picking up scraps, it was a boring job. It was not the most exciting Christmas and Easter breaks. We worked 10 hr. days and were paid 75 cents an hour. I remember the mud and the POW Stockade.
I also remember that I and a lot of others guys who were infatuated with daughter of Colonel Sale, the camp's Engineer who attended Penn High.
- Tom Hodge (1944 Penn High School Graduate)

I remember going to dances at Camp reynolds' Service Clubs. One in particular I remember that our dance cards were on apples on a decorated tree that was part of the decorations for thr dance.
 - St. Paul's Resdient

When I was teaching elementary school in Greenville PA at the Columbia Ave I remember having several soldiers children in my class.
I also remember being at the 1944 Memorial Day by Brigidier Gen Ladd, the Camp Reynolds Commander which was given on the West steps of the old Penn High School.
- Former Greenville School Teacher

As a young girl I attended Hickory High School. I remember seeing the barracks and soldiers as I rode with my parents as they rode past by the camp on Route 18 headed to Greenville, PA. I also remember seeing the fencing around the POW stockade.
- Ginny Haspel

I was an alter boy at St. Michael's Church in Greenville, PA. I was in the 7th or 8th Grade around the year 1944 or 1945. In the summer, Two Priest, Father Johnson and Cronin would go down to Camp Reynolds on the weekends to hold mass for the POWS. There were roughly 20 to 25 POWs who would attend the mass. The priest would give us alter boys a dime and we would go into a PX and buy a larger Hershey's candy bar. It was quite an experience for a young boy.
- Don Perrotti

We worked the summer of 1946 tearing down the camp. Orville was a laborer making 75 cents an hour and Eugene was a carpenter's helper, he had his own saw, and made 1.25 to 1.50 an hour (Eugene's dad helped build the camp). He measured the sides, cut them and loaded them on a truck and took them to the train station and they were shipped out. They also took urinals and stoves to the train station.

They had to join the union and were in cash. They also remember that the  government subsidized their salary, the contractor paying $1.00 and the government paying 10 cents.

They remembered that nails were saved and Orville spent his first 2 weeks straightening nails.
While working they remember the saw a big chimney blown up.
Another memory they have is pulling out the pillars that supported the barracks. They needed  someone to pull out the pillars and since they had a truck with a wrench they volunteered. The pillars with 6"x6". They would wrap a long line to the pillar and pulled them out one at a time. Their attempt to do several at a time was unsuccessful.
They lived in Fredonia and remember they could hear artillery being shot. They also remember that one of the barracks was used as a school room for the elementary kids.
- Eugene Mecklin & Orville Patterson - Orville was Eugene's brother in law

My dad, Leonard worked at tearing down the camp as a carpenter. He was a blacksmith by trade.  He used to take me to lunch occasionally and I got to see the soldiers.
- Gordan Urmson

When the camp was being built I remembers trucks hauling gravel to the camp. I'm not sure where they got the gravel but they came from Fairview Township down through Fredonia. Since they got paid by the load they would move along pretty fast. Police received complaints and set up speed traps but the drivers caught wind of it and set a system with flashing the lights that let the others know that there was a speed trap ahead. Finally the police just give up and let them run.
- Former Fredonia Resident

This is a story I heard about a man was taking his 12 year old boy out hunting for the 1st time in Jefferson Twp near Mercer. While hunting they ran into a couple of guys who were looking for food. The man told them that there were some apple trees near by and they went on. The guys were wearing jackets with PW on the back. It ended up that the guys were escaped POWs from Camp Reynolds. They were later arrested hiding in a barn in the area.
- Charles Thrope - Area Resident