y of around
Camp Reynolds - World War II Army Cam


George H Eastlake and son George Junior helped in construction of the camp between 1942 in 1943 and Richard Eastlake helped them tearing down some of the barracks in 1946 or 1947.

Dale Eastlake had a garage that was formally a fire station on Edgewood Drive and
My sister Vie worked at the Telephone Switchboard at the camp. Taylor and Lewis Hillman worked at a PX, these memories are from 1943 to 1944.
- Mrs. Eastlake - Local Resident

While I was in the Army I was stationed in Germany in 1970 where I met a World War II German POW in Bamberg Germany. I was out looking to have a pair of jeans made and went into a sewing shop that was long and narrow. I didn't see anyone and was looking around for a sales person. While waiting for someone I noticed that there was an arch behind one of the displays and I looked through the arch into another room. I saw a 4' x 8' piece of plywood covered with US soldier's patches. Eventually the owner come out and we started to talk and I asked the owner about how he got the patches. The owner explained that he was a German POW captured early in the war and was sent to a POW Camp in the United States where he got the patches from soldiers. I asked where in the US he said it was in some little place in Pennsylvania. Being from Mercer, PA and aware of the Camp Reynolds I asked him what was the name of the camp and he said Camp Reynolds. I thought that was pretty neat to be in Germany and run into a World War II POW  that was stationed at Camp Reynolds back in 1944 to 1946.

- Tom Waddell - Mercer Resident

My grandmother who lived in Youngstown, Ohio had daughters that used to Camp Reynolds for Dances. My grandmother didn't like the idea of them being around soldiers and told them to stay away from those "Dam" soldiers.
- Grandson

A friends dad would take soldiers to bars and then would pick them up at closing time. He charged a couple of dollars for gas money for a car load.
- Former Area Resident

I remember our family going to Greenville to the Keck and Young grocery store to get meat. While in town  my father would pass out envelopes with his address on them to soldiers and servicemen and asked if they would send him a military patch. He received over 150 patches. One patch was from a German officer.

Once I was lost as a little girl and remember that a soldier helped her find her parents.

There was sugar rationing during much of the war and we couldn't get sugar to make cookies but a family we knew who owned a restaurant could make cookies because they could get sugar through their restaurant.

I also remember that the barracks Theil College bought after the camp had closed were used for married couples housing.
- Myrna Kamerer Hefty - Former Greenville Resident