HOME PAGE


CAMP NOTEBOOK


 

 

 

 

 

 

 CAMP BEGINNINGS

June 23, 1942: Army engineers begin to survey farms in Pymatuning Township, Mercer County, Pennsylvania.
June 24, 1942: Authorization from the War Department for the construction of the camp.
June 30, 1942: Contracts for the work were awarded seven days later totaling over $3,000,000, with a specification that the work be completed by February 1, 1943. Gannett, Eastman, Flemming of Harrisburg and Mellon-Stuart Construction Company of Pittsburgh received the contracts to build the encampment.
July 3, 1942: Acquisition of farmland begin almost immediately. A total of 26 farms were eventually purchased.
July 8, 1942: The first actual construction work was started.
October 1, 1942: The first officer to arrive in preparation for the official activation of the Shenango Personnel Replacement Depot was Lt. Col. G. H. Sunderman
October 7, 1942: A Quartermaster Detachment of seven Enlisted Men arrived from Fort Monroe, Va., under the supervision of Lt. John W. Riley, Jr.
November 4, 1942: Col. George H. Cherrington was named Commanding Officer of the Depot.
November 1942: The procurement of land ended with the total land cost for 3,300 acres was $182,000.
December 1942: A month later the first components of Headquarters Company reported from the 1301st Service Unit at New Cumberland, Pa.
February 1943: While the camp was ready for occupancy by the middle of February construction work continued thereafter and the complete functions of the camp were underway.
April 2, 1943: Shenango Personnel Replacement Depot declared ready after only nine months of construction.